Monday, August 3, 2009

A Father's Legacy


3 years ago today my father passed away. It was the worst time in my family's life. Not just because we lost our father but because we never thought it would happen at all. You see my father was a Pastor, a man of God, a reverend. He loved serving the Lord and His people. He would always say "no one appreciates their salvation more than I do". My father was a great pastor and he wanted everyone to know his God and appreciate what He has done for them as much as he appreciated what God had done in his life.

Now my father was not perfect - don't tell my oldest sister Tammy, she'll get mad. She loved her daddy. It started out different for me. My first memory of church and God was when I was molested at the age of 6 by the Deacon's child. I was to frightened to tell anyone and I was afraid God would punish me if I spoke about such an ungodly thing. Needless to say I was not really into the PK (Preacher's Kid) thing at all. I hated church and most of all I hated growing up in a glass house. I longed for the day I could run free in the real world and live like hell. So I did and had my brush with death only to realize that God did not hate. You see I hated my daddy for not saving me that dark day at the age of 6 and that hate was years strong. I prayed for death many a year and it never came.

It was not until I was married and in my twenty's that I would realize that the anger I had for dad would not free me, it was only killing me and I would never be able to be free until I forgave my daddy for not being there to save me. Poor him, he did not even know anything happened. But just the same I needed to forgive him. So I did, and it was then I realized I wasted a many year hating my father and began to have the best relationship ever.

Years would past and he would support me in my Ministry and family. He was so proud of me and always told me so as well as telling others. "21 years ago today it was snowing" he would always say- every year on my birthday. It would now be 38 years. It would always kind of get on my nerves - but OH how I miss him saying today. No matter how I would fail the Lord, my father would always support me and my family.

In March of 2006 I would shame my family, church and community and loose my job. I approached my father and as usual he would love me and encourage me and tell me that the Lord expected me to get back at it again. That day my father handed me his credit card and told me to go and feed my family until I got another job. It took a while but a found another job and began to rebuild my family and my life. 5 months later my daddy would die.

You see my daddy was not just another man like any other, but he understood what it meant to Love and to be Loved. He understood the meaning of family and God's grace. He love God's word, His Church and His people. The legacy that my father left was more than just a father, husband, son, pastor; it was more than just a brother or a carpet layer as he had done many years. The legacy of my father was that of a man that knew the power of God's grace and love on his life.

I can still feel how it felt on that day that we stood around his bed in the hospital and with all my might I would sing Amazing Grace as we watch our Legacy go be with his maker.

2 comments:

  1. Well done, Steve, and I celebrate your dad's life with you, today. He was big in stature and bigger in his heart. I know he truly loved you because though I didn't know him well, when he would watch you sing, tears would fill his eyes and he had an honest smile on his face. Your life of painful growth will truly inspire and encourage your readers. Keep looking up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steve....Loved the post and I just added your blog spot to my favs! You are my friend and I appreciate you sharing your joys and pains with us! Love ya! Ree

    ReplyDelete