Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sick of the Rain

Perseverance
–noun
1. steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., esp. in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.
2. Theology. continuance in a state of grace to the end, leading to eternal salvation.

One Sunday morning I arrived early as usual to review the music for the service that morning and found something on the piano; a letter, typed and no name. I proceeded to open it and read. It was stating the complaints of what this individual did not like about how I chose to lead the music. Don't you just love how Satan gets his stabs in before Sunday morning service? I showed the letter to the pastor that week and he proceeded to throw it in the trash and explained that if they could not identify themselves, then it was not to worry about.

"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him" James 1:12

When I was younger I played the tambourine. Yes, I would direct with one hand and play the tambourine with the other. Now mind you I realize at times that the tambourine got on peoples nerves, but only one would proceed to make fun of it. Yes, they were grown and claimed to be a Christian.

"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us" Romans 8:18


One Wednesday Evening we were having choir practice and I as usual would be enjoying the practice as much as the service; sometimes more. Only to look at yet again a grown person sitting in the choir making fun of me by literally mocking me when I shouted - yes I used to shout - and also mimicking my hand motions as I directed. No, I'm not kidding.

"Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope; and hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." Romans: 3-5

One Christmas season we began to make preparations for the children's program - I miss directing the children, they were always fun - anyway, the pastor asked where the poinsettia tree would need to go so we would not have to move it for props this year. I explained to the pastor that we would have to move the tree regardless so it did not matter were they placed it. The Sunday night after our first rehearsal with props I received a call from the wonderful christian lady stating that the pastor said it didn't matter where we placed the poinsettia tree and so if one damn leaf falls from one poinsettia, that I would be paying for all the plants; and then hung up. Needless to say the pastor got a "new one".

"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:5

Funk
–noun
1. cowering fear; state of great fright or terror.
2. a dejected mood: He's been in a funk ever since she walked out on him.
–verb (used with object)
3. to be afraid of.
4. to frighten.
5. to shrink from; try to shirk.
–verb (used without object)
6. to shrink or quail in fear.

After reading and understanding the word funk, I'm less likely to use it describing myself anymore. But it is true - when we are in a funk it's just fear - and we know what the Bible says about fear - 2 Timothy 1:7 "For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." I do not believe the Lord while on this earth would have used the word "funk" - seeing that it would have been a sin.

Well now we know that being in a "funk" because of trials needs to produce "perseverance" not fear.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

It's like seeing the rain for days and days forgetting what the sun looks like, beginning to complain - and then you remember how precious the sun feels as soon as it breaks through the clouds and lands warm and comforting on your face.

So I have been sick of the rain many times and have retreated into a funk - why not, look where I have been and the obstacles in my life; surely that gives me the right.

"I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." Psalm 119":11

Wrong, I do not get a special "get out of the funk free card". And why would we want one? The truth is that I have realized that yes I get sick of the rain. Yes, I get sick of the trials! One thing I have come to prove is that when I am in a "funk" because I am sick of the rain, I'm not getting attached. But, when I chose to serve; then I get attached and feel the rain.

"I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees: I will not neglect your word." Psalm 119: 15-16

So I remember; do I want to not serve, stay in a funk, not get attached and be completely out of touch with God producing much fear and anxiety - or do I rest in assurance that the more attacks I receive the more on target I am.

So just remember that if you want to test your standing with the Lord - just don't serve the Lord and become complacent - not really doing anything but playing church. You will soon be non-attacked because you are not a threat to the kingdom.

But when you get sick of the funk, like I have and you realize that the only way sometimes to feel God is to serve and feel the rain by taking on the attacks only to serve and perseverance that much more; it is then when you can truly stand and shout "BRING IT ON" even when you are truly - sick of the rain.

Please enjoy the song selection - "Bring the Rain".

1 comment: